The Abbott’s History
W.C. Abbott returned to his hometown of Hagerstown, Indiana turning in his business suit for an apron. He soon owned and operated a restaurant on Main Street, specializing in fried chicken, steak, short orders, and pastries. Word about his delicious meals spread, and W.C. was requested to serve the Indiana State Fair Board and honored guests. During this period, W.C. experimented and created the first Abbott’s candy… butterscotch. As its fame spread, his penny‑stick taffy or “Je‑bo” and homemade ice cream made their debut.
He was encouraged to pursue the ice cream business on a larger scale, but instead introduced a chocolate drop, which in turn elicited high praise from confectioner colleagues. Orders and customers both poured in, and W.C. realized he would be forced to make a choice between the successful restaurant and the budding candy business. He decided to sell the cafe and open a candy factory on South Plum. He soon moved the factory to a more convenient location, his own backyard, where it remained until August of 1985.
W.C. remodeled the garage behind his residence on Southmarket Street to accommodate candy manufacturing equipment. The equipment mainly consisted of a gas stove to cook the candies, a marble slab to cool them, a converted icebox to store both products and ingredients and a kiss cutter to cut the strips of caramel and taffy, all of which are still in use today in the making of caramels.
All the stirring over the hot stove was done by hand, all the chocolate was melted in dishpans over warm water, and all chocolate pieces were hand‑dipped. W.C.’s wife, Florence E. Bruce Abbott helped in the business, and the couple was later joined by their son, John Bruce Abbott.
Unfortunately in 1942, along with World War II came W.C.’s death. During the war, the Abbott family: W.C.’s widow Florence, and his son and daughter‑in‑law, Bruce and Rhea L. Brooks Abbott, were forced to halt production due to the scarcity of sugar and chocolate. Florence and Bruce took jobs at the local factory, and Rhea, along with caring for son John Charles and baby Suanna, taught at the local high school.
Bruce Abbott was the first generation of Abbotts to be raised in the candy business, and it passed to him upon his father’s death. As a boy he often grew weary of stirring batches of candy for hours with heavy wooden paddles, so one of his first orders of business was to invent a mechanized stirrer. Wooden paddles were shaped to fit snugly to the inside of the copper kettles used to cook the candy to prevent the candy from scorching. This system is still in use today. Also, under Bruce’s ownership, Abbott’s had its first expansion in 1948. Bruce had a basement dug and built a new kitchen.
1949 was a crucial year in the history of Abbott’s Candy. The war was over, and business was picking up again. The Christmas season had been hectic, and for a treat, on Christmas Day Bruce took his wife and son to a movie show. Shortly after the movie began, Bruce suffered a heart attack. He did not survive.
Florence and Rhea faced a big decision. Both had some experience in the business, and rather than surrendering the precious family recipes, they chose to stay in business. Rhea gave four reasons why the two Abbott widows kept the factory. They knew something about this business and decided it was something a woman could do. The business was established with a good reputation and regular customers. And for Rhea, the greatest incentive of all, three small children.
For the first three years, Rhea did all the cooking herself. After making her first batch of “creams” Rhea invested in an institutional‑sized beater. She was blessed with good business sense, loyal employees, and community support. “I am fortunate to live in an era, and in a community where a woman could support herself and educate her children,” she commented.
Perhaps Rhea’s biggest accomplishment was the opening of her retail gift store in 1956, the Two Sisters, named for her daughters Suanna and Mary. A former employee, Thelma Ulrich, wrote, “I remember when Rhea first put up a shelf out in front of the candy shop, and she put out a few items to sell other than candy. It turned out to be quite a success, and after much planning and lots of sleepless nights, she decided to open a store on Main Street” She soon outgrew this location and moved to a larger one at the west end of the block. The Two Sisters remained here until March of 1969 when an office next door caught on fire due to faulty wiring. The entire corner was destroyed.
Undaunted, Rhea vowed to reopen for business in one month’s time. She kept that promise, and opened Two Sisters, located in the former lodge hall of the Red Men’s Lodge, is a corner landmark in town. Seldom did anyone stop in Hagerstown and not drop in to browse the aisles of candies and gifts. Soon after the 1969 fire, Rhea bought a large building south of Main Street. At the time, she was unsure where the new Two Sisters would be located, so the building was purchased as a possible site.
Originally, it was built circa 1851 as the town’s Presbyterian church, organized by Reverend R.B. Abbott, unrelated as far as we know. The church was disbanded, and after a while was bought and converted into a garage. The building went through periods of use and disuse, alternately as a garage, carwash, and car dealership. From the fifties to 1985 is was used by Dana Corporation, the local factory, as a warehouse for oily, grimy obsolete machinery. In 1985, Rhea removed the machinery, and after five months of cleaning, building, remodeling, and painting, she opened the doors to a new Abbott’s. The area that was once the church is now the showroom, with the east wall’s original brick exposed. The additions built during its time of being a carwash and dealership are now the office, shipping and storerooms, kitchen, and chocolate rooms.
It was one of Rhea’s greatest dreams to see the business moved to the new factory location. She lived to see that dream move into reality, and work there for three years until her death in the spring of 1988. Abbott’s was then passed into the hands of Suanna, Rhea’s daughter, and Gordon Goodnight, her husband. Together, the two made many improvements, including constructing a cooling tunnel attached to the chocolate enrober Rhea bought in the mid-seventies, streamlining the shipping and storage room, and expanding the mail order capabilities with a new computer system.
The Goodnights have expanded the business through a licensing agreement with Jay and Lynn Noel of Indianapolis. The Noels started Abbott’s Also, a branch store of Abbott’s Candies on the northeast side Indianapolis. The Noels opened their store in October 1993. More stores Abbott’s Also stores were opened in Indianapolis to expand into the South and Central parts of the city. Growing to 3 locations in the 2000s. The opportunity arose for Jay and Lynn to purchase the entire company and they did not hesitate.
In 2012 Jay and Lynn Noel purchased all of Abbott’s and currently own the business today. As they have continued to grow so has their company family. Jason, is now part of the family business and looks forward to growing the Abbott Habit into a national brand with
rich family history…